Wednesday 20 October 2010

An infinite number of minions...

So that's it - finally I have cast it. In the end we had 38 people come to auditions! Even with the four who subsequently dropped out it will be the biggest cast DramSoc has had in years. What do I do with them all?!

It was quite frustrating not to have enough speaking parts to go round - there was a lot of potential there and some people who could do very well but I just wasn't able to give them a big enough part. Still, most of them seem happy to be involved anyway. Now I just have to make sure I keep them entertained! The biggest challenge will be the first rehearsal on Sunday for which I've called everyone though a few people can't make it. I'm planning on lots of ice-breaker and acting games to ease us into the process and get to know each other before starting some basic blocking for scenes. Though since most of the 'extras' will be improvising there won't necessarily be a lot of blocking. Hmm. I'll think of something! :S

Very impressed with all the talent though and really excited about working with people. The guy cast as the villain was deliciously evil and there are several incredibly talented new faces - as well as a few familiar ones. The next challenge will be working out a rehearsal schedule that everyone can actually make it to. :S

The script is pretty much almost entirely finalised mostly. There are a couple of good lines I haven't been able to fit in, and a few major plot/character failings that are impossible to fix, but I'm quite pleased with it. I've got it down to fifty-six pages too which I'm really hoping isn't too long. Tomorrow will be the end of the road for script re-drafts as I have to print out thirty-four copies ready for the cast read-through! Fortunately I've had lots and lots of help, comments and suggestions. :)

Have also been messing around with a black/white theme for the posters but I'm not convinced it's really what we're after. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I like the idea of black and white (dark/light) posters but I'm not entirely sure that it works well with the inverted photos.

    It's easier than finding an artist, but I reckon simple b&w graphic artwork, particularly negative silhouettes, would be more striking. Something along the lines of black posters with, say, white knitting needles!

    I was hugely impressed with the retro posters that were recently unveiled for Black Swan:
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29205

    I wouldn't say that style is the right fit for this, but something like the third one might be appropriate in terms of its use of black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably agree RE simple B&W graphics. White knitting needles with bright red blood dripping from them perhaps? ;)

    Then again I would quite like to do a line of posters with actual photos of cast, since everyone always does graphics. Thought real faces might grab attention amid a sea of shapes? Quite keen to do two lines of photos though!

    See what you mean with the elegant simplicity of those black swan ones though. Is it a film I ought to watch? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blood-dripping needles is a nice image!

    If you wanted two lines, I suppose you could have a "teaser" set without the title (just a date/tagline?). Or inverted versions of the final posters without details, followed by the "real" one.

    If you're keen on photos of the cast, a Sin City style effect might suit the title, since Frank Miller (and the film) tended to overlay white-on-black effects like rain, etc.

    Black Swan is top of my list to see as the Oscar season starts. It's Aronofsky's latest and looks decidedly weird from the trailer (it takes a weird turn right at the end), but he's a superb director so I'm happy to trust him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See fb for dodgily photoshopped version!

    Teasers without details are probably a bit advanced for a swiftly passing imperial audience. I was just thinking of doing one line with pics in - possible Sin City-ised to some extent, then one line pure graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair point; I am known to have a tendency for overthinking these things! Those two lines sound good (or I suppose try some in each style and see which you prefer). I look forward to the results!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name and any comments!