Tuesday 28 August 2007

First post about the island despite my having been here for almost two weeks.

The first views of la Isla de Robinson Crusoe are spectacular, although I’m filming them so I don’t notice at first. In my small fuzzy view screen is black rock and blue sea with white along the edges where they meet. Then I raised my eyes and took in the full shivering detail of the sheer cliffs, delicate surf and rolling greens on top. I am often wary of taking my video camera about with me; often you can either film a moment or live in it, not both. But so many times since I left the baboons (which I filmed plenty) I’ve wished I had a decent digital camera. I even considered buying one but have told myself that a cheap one won’t take really good pictures – not to mention the fact that I’m currently spending far too much on plane tickets and am now officially unemployed. So I remind my self that I’m poor (which makes one feel rather noble) and focus on absorbing the image instead – oh, and steal other people’s photos later! :)

I don’t know quite how to describe this island and this town to you. Rather than tell the story in the order that I saw it I want to describe this place in terms of the life here. I’m going to be here another two months at least, doing our work (studying hummingbirds, for those of you who are wondering what on earth I’m on about) and living in this small town (where everyone pretty much knows, and often is related to, everyone else) – and I want to have my own life here that I am in control of and am myself and comfortable within. But after ten days I’m only beginning to get there (while being very philosophical about it too) which is why I’m not sure I want to describe this place to you yet. I think I’ll wait for my feelings to balance out and reach a nice equilibrium – because you can’t describe pure fact without emotion and mine are all confuzzled so I’m going to be irritating and leave it. Despite the fact that I suppose you’ve all come here to read it, as opposed to my mad ramblings.

I’ll just give you the basics to keep you going:
Hi! I’m on Robinson Crusoe Island! Weather is always cold and generally muddy (a perfectly valid descriptive term for weather, and possibly even climate). Have seen lots of hummingbirds! Got tipsy in local bar last night – fellover in mud. Am learning Spanish! Most used phrases: No entiendo. No hablo espanol. Thinking of all you guys – hope you’re enjoying the end of summer, appreciate it! xxx Shamini

P.S. Sorry about the whole posting three things all at once thing and then confusing you into reading the story backwards which would clearly have made no sense. This may happen frequently from now on - I like having more shorter posts and am writing them down in my notebook as I go along as opposed to typing them all up here. Anyway, my suggestion would be to look at the "archive" list down the right hand side and see how many I seem to have added since you last read!
P.P.S. Thanks so much for the comments guys!

5 comments:

  1. Write more, Shamini! I am following you! Mad to see some of your (stolen!) pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the tipple in the bars on Robinson Crusoe island? I think I'd like something that makes you fall over in the mud...

    (Rob is an alcoholic)

    **hangs head in shame**

    ReplyDelete
  3. sham have you written anything since 27 august? cos its not showing. but then it was really strange cos old fogey's old man suddenly found a page of day by day diary type stuff includng something saying missing beebe frm bommbay (that's probably you with your weird spelling trying to say baby!!) - and we looked and looked again but couldn't find it.
    hope all well. and missing you loads

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely have a unique writing style Sharms, much like your unique hugging-whilst-leading-with-the-head style, and other such things! Stay safe kiddo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. UNIQUE??!!! I cannot believe you said that. Very harsh. :P

    Rob they have something called 'Pisco sour'that they seem to like, and a beer called espero or something. NO i'm not bringing you any. sorry.

    Missing a baby from bombay?! I have mentioned bombay once but I dunno bout the rest. Anyway I{m posting now, sorry for the delay!

    All requests for pictures should be addressed to my publicity manager...er, I mean...sorry you'll have to wait! Soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name and any comments!